Friday, July 27, 2007

This is my brain

I was talking to David on the phone while at work on Wednesday and was approached at my cubicle by an employee. Let's call him Zhong... ok, that's his real name. Gotta love it. He was waiting to ask me a question, so I asked David if I could put him on hold. I put him on hold and went about trying to help Zhong. I am the keeper of our infocus machine, basically a projector, and he came to get it from me for his meeting that was in 10 minutes. I opened my drawer to get it for him and it was gone. It wasn't supposed to be gone because people reserve it and are supposed to check it out when they come to get it, but there was no reservation for earlier in the day and no one had checked it out. I'll admit, Zhong seemed a little confused and I was too. I sent out a quick e-mail to everyone on our project (70 + people, including some in India who I was sure didn't have the machine) asking whoever took the infocus without signing it out to return it asap. Zhong was getting a bit agitated because he needed to go prepare for his meeting, so I told him I'd take care of it and either order another one for him or find my lost one. I proceeded to call Maintenance and order one, then as soon as I hung up the phone, I recieved an e-mail from one of the people I support saying that they took it and were going to bring it over to me. I called Maintenance back and cancelled my order and went to tell Zhong an infocus was on its way. My infocus was finally dropped off and I delivered it to the meeting. After this 10-minute rush of trying to find an infocus, I returned to my desk, plopped on my chair, and took a deep breath. I stared at my computer for a minute or two and then started checking my e-mail. I looked at my cell phone sitting on my desk next to my work phone to see if there were any text messages and there was one. It was from David: "FYI- I'm still on hold." I wracked my brain to think of why he might be on hold with someone and why he'd care to tell me. I'm on hold at various times throughout the day but never find it terribly exciting. I looked to see if he had sent a text message before that with a little more of an explanation. Then it came to me- I looked at my work phone and saw line 1 on hold. My poor husband! I picked it up and apologized, then explained my story. And that, my friends, is a sampling of my brain on work.

No comments: