My Christmas Highlights
by, Heidi Ower
Surprise from David #1> When I finished wrapping presents on Christmas Eve, I went to the bedroom and found a big bow sitting on my side of the bed. David had stolen the biggest bow in my bow pile earlier and said it was a "finishing touch". When I saw it, I produced a tired laugh and said, "You put the bow on my side of the bed- funny." Then I plopped my sore bum onto the bed- sore from riding bikes earlier in the day- and hit a mattress harder than I was used to. I didn't realize it at first. I did some stream of consciousness talking... "This feels harder than usual... it feels different... is this a different mattress?... this is new!" When I reached the correct conclusion, David explained that is was a Christmas present for us. When we got married, we got a used mattress from a furniture salesman of ours and neither of our backs have loved it- but our Tempur-pedic is getting along quite nicely with our backs... and my sore bum.
Surprise from David #2> Earlier in November or December, David and I took a little tour of the Healdsburg square stores. (They have the most fabulous boutiques.) We went into an eccentric-looking jewelry store and I, of course, found a number of things I loved. My greatest love was a line of jewelry called Silver Seasons by Michael Michaud. The jewelry sets are all carbon copies of flowers and plants made with precious metals and various stones or pearls. Christmas morning David told me he had an order I had to open my presents in. I opened them one by one and ended up at the last- a big square present. I opened the box and found a shoe box inside, inside the shoe box was another box, and inside was a floral jewelry box. I had no idea what was in it because I hadn't asked for any nice jewelry for Christmas- but when I opened it, I found my own Silver Seasons wisteria necklace and pearl earrings.
David picked them out himself and did a wonderful job. They are my favorite of the collection. What a thoughtful husband I have. : )
Pigs> Every year we play a white elephant gift game on Christmas Eve with the Owers. Everyone is supposed to bring 2 or more gifts. We sit in a circle and pass around a pair of dice and if you roll a double- you get to grab a gift from the middle. Last year I was rolling doubles left and right, but this year I didn't roll a single double in the first round (the first round goes until all the presents in the middle are taken). Jamie had mercy on me and gave me one of her gifts. In the last round, if you roll a double you can steal a present from anyone else. Almost the entire last round, I was doubleless. I think in the last minute and a half, I rolled 3 doubles. Once the game was over, we opened our presents and I actually made out pretty well! I got a pair of earrings (David got them, but they weren't his color), Pass the Pigs (a game I have actually been wanting to buy), and a couple of other things that have left my memory. Anyway- I'm really excited to take Pass the Pigs to Hawaii with us! Who knew that Eric's white elephant gift would be one of my Christmas highlights. Thanks, Eric!
I have more highlights where those came from (my brain), but I'll stop at those three because this post is getting long. Maybe you'll be blessed with a Highlights Part 2 before we leave... probably not, but I'll see if I can get David to share some of his Christmas highlights with you.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
2 comments:
Yeah, we are in Feb. now. How about what happened in Jan and Feb????
I can't be the only one demanding more entries on your blog...
Ok, seriously.....Need new update!!!!!
Post a Comment