This is David, breaking the blog fast at long last. Blogging just isn't a habit so all the information sort of stacks up in my head to the point that if I try to "update" in the true sense of the word, I would not finishing bringing you up to date until the date had changed yet again, requiring further updating. So, instead of a photo journal, an interesting story, or random musings, here is a list of Ower highlights from the last few months:
January:
1) I went to San Francisco for the youth group mission trip. We stayed there a few days and did different outreach/service activities, including: SF food pantry, AIDS center food service, Salvation Army meals that heal and product sorting, youth center fellowship and Bible study, and passing out coats, blankets, food, and basic necessities to people on the street. It was a great way to put "feet to our faith" and make a difference close to home.
2) We went to Maui with the Andres, Mittelstadt, and Nelson families for a week. I was sick almost the whole time, but it was still beautiful. We had a great time. Email Heidi if you want photos or find us on facebook and see Heidi's galleries.
3) Right after Maui, we went to southern California for the Calvary Chapel Youth Workers Conference. The theme was "Pursue Love" and there were a lot of great workshops and messages.
4) On our way back from southern California, we went to Disneyland for the afternoon. We were able to stay at my grandparents so it worked out to be in that place that's so happy. Autopia is better than real driving.
5) We went back to our jobs: me to painting, Heidi to assisting administratively.
6) I got contacted by a guy who got my name from old family friends and we met concerning a mission trip he is planning in Romania this summer. They need someone to teach the boys in a camp they put on and it looks like I will be going with them and filling that position. Pray that it works out!
February:
1) I started a junior high group at the church for Sunday mornings. The name is "Foundations" and we've been going over basic topics in the Bible, from "Who God is" to "Heaven."
2) Heidi was too sick to go with us to Tahoe for a youth group snow trip, so I had to do it alone. :(
3) I started planning our youth spring camp (going camping in Santa Cruz) and helping plan a "teen rally" that will be at the Windsor Town Green at the beginning of April. Kinda fun to schedule bands and plan sound. I may be sharing my testimony at the event as well, but we'll see what the kids organizing it decide to do.
4) We celebrated a year and a half of marriage on the 26th. It sure went by quickly!
March
1) Yesterday was March 1st, and I had a few firsts:
a. I went surfing for the first time in about 3 years. Paddled for 10 minutes and then my arms gave out. It turns out that catching waves requires you to be fit enough to get to them; I never did make it to anything rideable. At least I tried.
b. I played indoor soccer for the first time in a long while as well. Co-ed with my brother Eric and some of his friends. It was fun, until...
c. I went to the hospital ER for the first time since I don't know when. The wait was short and the people were friendly, but it was still the hospital. Hurray for co-pay.
2) In the soccer game, I tried to block a shot (which I did), but after I planted my foot, the opponent knocked my ankle over and it rolled pretty bad. It swelled up pretty quick and I couldn't walk on it, so at half-time, I hopped to the parking lot and Heidi drove me to the hospital. After waiting and getting X-rays, they told me there were no broken bones but since the swelling is so bad and it was already black and blue, they splinted it and wrapped it up and gave me some vicodin. Praise God for drugs! (don't go blackmailing me with that statement- I'm a pastor, remember.) Tomorrow I have to call an orthopedist and try to find out what exactly is going on with my ankle.
3) I am planning on going to Romania still, but was hoping to fund myself with painting money. We'll see how this pans out, but I doubt I will be able to paint for a while. Pray that we can know the direction God would have us go in. We've seen God use things we think are bad and work them together for good, and we know He will be faithful; praise Him for knowing past, present, and future and for caring enough for us to guide us and show us His love through the craziest, funniest, most unlikely circumstances! Praise Him that He makes the random seem normal, turns the bad to good, and gives us peace in every situation!
4) A week from today, on March 9th, I will turn 25. I want quarters for my birthday, since I think it's appropriate, and because I'm low on newspaper funds.
1 comment:
FINALLY!!!!! Just Joking. Bummer about the ankle Dave. Hope that it heals quick. I have a bunch of tape/etc from the old sports medicine days, so if you need it, let me know. Hope you have an awesome March, and I expect another update in May...
Post a Comment