Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Extreme Makeover Crooked Home Edition

I am such a dreamer. David and I live in a crooked little house in the country that I have been dying to paint and decorate, but have been holding off since it was promised to my sister and her fiance' after they get married in August. I haven't done anything permanent to the house because we were only going to be living there through summer. Brig 'n' Bob (the sister and fiance') recently decided that Brig will change her major back to music from liberal studies which means they will be living in Santa Clarita for at least another couple of years. I'll miss my sis... but what does that mean for me? Extreme Makeover Crooked Home Edition! And that is where the dreaming comes in. My new obsession is anything and everything that has to do with Better Homes & Gardens- magazines, books, TV shows. You name it. If I see "Better Homes & Gardens" on the top of the cover at the bookstore, I grab it and read it and buy it or discard it, depending on the number of ideas that could be applied to our house. The dreaming has its unrealistic sides, like, flip-flopping the bathroom and closet, knocking out walls, jacking up the corner of the house so that it is no longer the crooked little house-- although, I think the house would have an identity crisis at that point. All ideas which are possible, but definitely not probable. Ideas that are a little more likely are- redoing the icky bathroom, trading the carpet in the kitchen (yes- CARPET in the KITCHEN) for something that actually belongs on a kitchen floor, painting... well... everything, and getting some window shades or curtains. We are currently walking around in clear view of anyone driving by. Peeping Toms out there- that is not an invitation. Yes, I have all sorts of ideas and lists and pages bookmarked on the Better Homes & Gardens site (of course). And now I can actually do some of these things to the house! I'm pretty excited, but I will be more excited when my hubby's ankle is restored to him and he can help out too. Patience... Until we are able to flip this house, I will just be happy to live in a crooked, funky, exposed, funny little house. It's always an adventure!

2 comments:

Mary Blaustone said...

Now don't you go and buy those BHG magazines. I've been getting them for years. I canceled my subscription and I still get them. I even have this months still in the plastic. So...it's yours!
OK, I'm just gonna say it. You know I'm praying the Lord moves you guys up our way. So, ya start fixin up a home down there...then you'll have to fix up a home up here. Next thing ya know you're fixin up homes everywhere. And what about my home? Who is gonna fix it up? You just answer me that.
Man! Am I glad I got that off my chest. With that said, the BHG mag is still yours, as well as any more that come in my mailbox.

blessings and love
mary

Anonymous said...

You can have my BHG's too -- I don't know why but I just got a three year subcscription (I guess it's hard to pass up a good deal). I don't have time to read them and my house is as good as it's going to get for now anyway. I'm hoping for a major remodel because I know what you mean about living in a crooked house. Something about that just isn't right! I always love to hear about Christ being our foundation, because He's solid and true -- there's no cracked walls or sloping floors when we do things His way. As for my house, well, it's temporary. You're invited to visit me anytime. We love color on the walls, so you can get some real life inspiration.

Thanks for commenting on my blog, I'm really liking this blogging thing. I guess it's the new age of communication :-) Have a great day. -Darnell