For as long as I can remember, I have loved to clean. In Jr. High I used to go over to my friend Hillary's house and we'd hang out in her room and if it was a mess and driving me crazy, I'd clean it as we talked and listened to oldies. If I wanted to do something nice for a family member, I'd clean for them. I have always looked forward to those Saturdays when I have an entire day to clean to my heart's content.
Next to our house we have a shed about the size of our bedroom. It's a wonderful thing to have as there is very little storage in the house and I'm... well... a packrat. As my parents have emptied their attic of all my old things and David and I have acquired other things, the shed has gotten more and more cluttered. For a while now, I have wanted to empty it into our driveway so I can go through everything but, with the animal droppings, spiderweb ceiling, and low light, there was no way I was going to pull everything out on my own. Although I will point out, I went in there with our Dyson a few months ago and vacuumed up every spiderweb, spider, and bug I could find. I thought it was pretty gutsy- and I felt like a superhero ridding the world of spiders. But now that the spiders and their webs have returned- no thanks. On Saturday, I finally asked David to pull everything out and our driveway was filled with boxes of who-knows-what. Well now- I know what.
There were porcelain dolls - stuffed animals - porcelain clowns from my youth (wind-up ones whose legs and heads spin. scary.) - books, books, and more books - afghans from grandma - Smooshies - an entire carboard box of ticket stubs and letters and anything else that seemed memorable at the time that I now can't recall what it was from - long skirts and matching tees from highschool Mexico trips, as well as my white platform tennies - my diaries from 1992 through 1998 - Kirsten, my American doll - rubber duckies from the year I liked rubber duckies - graduation caps and gowns from highschool and college - a friend's ATM card... oops - my rock and shell collection - and... pretty much anything else you can imagine.
It was fun going through everything and walking along Memory Lane, but I can only enjoy 10 porcelain dolls for so long before it is time for them to find a new home- at my parents' garage sale. I managed to fill 2 large boxes with whozits and whatzits galore. But I confess, I kept some of the thingamabobs. Only the special ones though. In all of the organizing and purging, I couldn't help but remember The Berenstain Bears and the Messy Room. Every time I organize a closet, room, or storage space, I hope that it ends up looking like their clean room: everything neat in a box and labeled. That's what I used to think of when I'd go through my closet in Jr. High and that is what I was thinking of Saturday when I started going through our shed. I almost wonder if that book is the reason I love to clean. Could be. Saturday was only Phase 1 of the Shed Project, but when it is done, I imagine it will look something like this:
Wednesday, June 04, 2008
heidi ower and the messy shed
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You forgot to mention the rat corpse rotting under your grandma's old pillow. That thingamabob had to go.
The rat corpse was too rotten to add to the blog of all my sweet old memorabilia. And I forgot about it momentarily, which was a good thing.
I (heart) cleaning as well. Its such a joy to purge a room of all the crap that I don't use. Hence the needed garage sale every year....That way, I can also go to garage sales and get more stuff to replace the old stuff that I got rid of. Its a viscous cycle.
Post a Comment