Tuesday, July 15, 2008

hubby in romania

The story behind David's Romania trip: A few months ago David received a call from a guy who said he was referred to David by David's best friend's dad. (A mouthful, I know) He was calling to see if David was interested in going on a missions trip to Romania with a group compiled of people from a few nearby churches. He was referred to David because the group was in need of a guy to teach the boys at the summer camp they are putting on. It was a random call to get and when David told me about it I was not very excited about the idea. He mentioned that I could go too, but when I realized I'd be getting back a week and a half before my sister's wedding, that idea was quickly dismissed. The day before David had to commit to the trip, I was still dead set against it and had basically been praying that he wouldn't go. I talked to David on the phone and work and found out he was of the mindset that he was going while I was not. It was then that I realized if God wanted him to go, I didn't want to hold him back, so for the first time- I prayed that the Lord would give me peace about the trip if it was His will. Much to my disappointment, only minutes later, I felt a complete peace replace my panic and I knew David would be going.

What is David doing? The group he is with is called Romania: Building the Next Generation. The couple heading it up have visited Romania numerous times in the last years and own a house in the village that serves as the housing for each missions team. They are ministering to the sick and poor of the area, and are simply spending time with the youth and sharing the Lord with the people. The middle of the 2-week trip is a youth camp in the mountains. Each day they split the girls and guys up for separate teachings (where David is the speaker for the guys), they play games, have small groups, hang out together, and then the combined group is together for a night teaching which David is also doing. The group may get to do a little bit of sight-seeing, but if a ministry opportunity comes up instead- that's what the trip is about. When David gets back, I am sure he will have much more to say and may even correct some of the things I've written. : )

Back at Home: David left for Romania on July 7th and will be returning the 21st. I'm smack dab in the middle of my lonely two weeks, but it has been a blessed time staying with my parents and soon-to-be-married sister. The group is at the youth camp right now and David has no means of communication in the mountains so I last talked to him on Saturday and will get to talk to him again on Friday. He is doing great although he is tired, and he has already had the opportunity to visit people in the area and show off his soccer skills to the kids. They love it. : )

Prayer Requests: David and I appreciate your prayers. Please pray for the safety and health of the group. Also pray for David as he teaches- with an interpreter. Pray that the Lord softens the hearts of the youth and people in the area and that they understand the freedom that can be found in Christ.

2 comments:

familyof5 said...

So much to catch up on....When you blog, you go BIG!!!!

Heidi Jo said...

And I'm still not caught up- there is more coming!